- San Diego offers a variety of beach activities like surfing, bodyboarding, snorkeling, scuba diving, and kayaking.
- It’s recommended to pre-plan the type of water sports and activities you wish to enjoy.
- San Diego beaches, especially La Jolla Shores, provide ideal conditions for family activities and water sports.
- Numerous beaches including Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, and Coronado Beach offer unique experiences to visitors.
- La Jolla is a popular beach community in San Diego, known for its water-based activities.
- Apart from beach activities, attractions like Balboa Park, Seaport Village, and San Diego Zoo are worth visiting.
There are so many wonderful things to do at the beach in San Diego. There is something for everyone to enjoy between water sports, surfing, swimming, and various beach activities. With so many possibilities, it makes me wonder, what are the best beach activities in San Diego that you can enjoy?
So, what are the best beach activities in San Diego? San Diego has miles of beautiful beaches, and beaches offer wonderful opportunities for activities such as surfing, body boarding, swimming, boating, snorkeling, scuba diving, and kayaking. Enjoy the beaches of La Jolla Shores, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Mission Bay, Torry Pines, and Del Mar.
There is so much to do in San Diego that visiting the city can seem like a never-ending vacation. It can be hard to decide where to start with so much to do. First, let’s take a look at the beaches San Diego offers. Then, I’ll cover some of the most popular activities and some lesser-known ones that you might want to try. It’s a good idea to work out what kind of water sports and beach activities you like to do. Once you have a rough idea, choosing the beach and getting the equipment you need is easy. There is a lot to cover.
I’ll also give some scenario examples using the profiles of Rick, a sporty 19-year-old, Sara & Jake – the married couple with two kids, and Ben & Judy, the retired couple in their early 60s exploring the beaches of the world. I will examine how they approach choosing beach activities to do in San Diego. Perhaps you can relate to one of them and follow their choice.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What Can You Do at San Diego Beaches? Beach Activities in San Diego
You can swim, surf, sunbathe, and play volleyball at the San Diego beaches, among other things.
Let’s dive deep into what water sports and activities you can do on San Diego beaches. Whether you are looking for something to keep you active for a few hours or one that will take all day, there are many to choose from:
1. Surfing Beach Activities in San Diego
Surfing is another popular water sport that you can enjoy at San Diego’s beaches. If you want to learn how to surf, visit one of the many surfing schools located along San Diego’s coastline.
There are good waves for surfers at La Jolla Shore, Windansea Beach, Torry Pines, Del Mar, or other San Diego beach. There’s always something going on. Check out the local Surf Report for current conditions at each location. Surfing lessons teach you how to ride waves safely and effectively. Once you’ve mastered this skill, you can participate in surfing competitions or enjoy surfing with friends.
2. Bodyboarding (or Boogieboarding) Beach Activities in San Diego
Bodyboarding is a fun sport that doesn’t require a lot of expensive gear. Many people have learned how to bodyboard by practicing at the beach and watching videos on YouTube. It involves taking a bodyboard and riding the waves with it. People can reach greater speeds than when they are surfing on conventional surfboards, and there are some tricks that people use to get more speed. Any beach in San Diego with waves is a possible place to bodyboard.
3. Scuba Diving Beach Activities in San Diego
Scuba diving is one of the more popular water sports in San Diego. You can dive in several places, such as Mission Bay, La Jolla Cove, Coronado Island, Ocean Beach, and Pacific Beach. When scuba diving, you don’t have to go far to find amazing underwater sights. The waters off the coast of San Diego are teeming with marine life, including sea lions, dolphins, sharks, rays, jellyfish, octopus, and eels.
4. Snorkeling Beach Activities in San Diego
You can snorkel in San Diego at La Jolla Cove, Mission Bay, and Pacific Beach. This underwater activity can be a fun activity to do with the whole family. Snorkeling in San Diego allows you to observe the local aquatic life while also enjoying a great workout at the same time.
5. Kayaking Beach Activities in San Diego
Kayaking is another popular activity that you can enjoy at La Jolla Shores beach. Kayaking is a great way to experience nature firsthand. You can kayak alone or with others. And when you’re done, you can stop at a nearby restaurant or bar for some refreshments.
6. Paddle Boarding Beach Activities in San Diego
Paddleboarding is another great way to explore San Diego. Rent a board and hit the waves. You can enjoy paddleboarding at several San Diego beaches, including Mission Bay and La Jolla Shores.
7. Swimming Beach Activities in San Diego
There are plenty of swimming places in San Diego. The Pacific Ocean is just north of the city, and Mission Bay offers several beaches where you can take a dip.
8. Fishing Beach Activities in San Diego
San Diego County is home to numerous beaches and bays where you can go fishing or board a boat to go fishing. If you’re interested in catching fish, San Diego is a great place. Check out the Fishing Report for current information about what’s biting along the coast.
9. Boating Beach Activities in San Diego
San Diego has a lot of marinas, and they provide boat rentals. Rentals include everything you need to go sailing, fishing, or cruising. You might also choose a whale sightseeing boat cruise to see the seasonal blue whales migrating.
What Would Sara and Jake Choose Do With Their Family at the Beach in San Diego?
Sara and Jake have two kids, 7 and 9, and they enjoy spending time together doing fun activities for the whole family. They visited the San Diego beach, and Sara and Jake decided which activities they would like to do at the beach. They based their decision on what they thought their children would enjoy rather than focusing on what adults would like. Sara and Jake decided to give their kids a choice between volleyball games, boogieboard lessons, or swimming. Each kid chose one activity to try first.
Top Beaches in San Diego?
The best beach in San Diego is La Jolla Shores. It’s a beautiful, sandy beach with great waves for surfing and plenty of places to sunbathe and relax. It’s close to La Jolla Cove, has a park right next to the seashore, and has many shops and cafes in the downtown area.
1. La Jolla Shores is located in the upscale La Jolla neighborhood and features great waves for surfing, a grassy park with a playground and picnic tables, and a small beach cove perfect for swimming and snorkeling.
Having grown up in San Diego, I agree that La Jolla Shores is the best beach in San Diego. I often went to that beach when I was young, and some of my best memories are connected to it. It’s a sure winner, and you won’t be disappointed!
List of San Diego Beaches
Here’s a list of beaches from the south of the city to the north of San Diego County.
- Ocean Beach – Ocean Beach is one of the smallest beaches in San Diego. This wide, sandy beach is located in the Ocean Beach neighborhood of San Diego and is great for swimming, sunbathing, and surfing.
- Pacific Beach – This beach is located in the Pacific Beach neighborhood of San Diego and is popular for its wide variety of restaurants, bars, and shops and its great waves for surfing. Pacific Beach is another well-known beach perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying ocean views from afar.
- Coronado Beach – This beach is located on an island just across the bay and over the Coronado Bridge from Downtown San Diego. The wide beach stretches for over a mile and is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, surfing, and sandcastles. Coronado Island is one of the most popular tourist destinations in San Diego. It is home to the famous Hotel del Coronado, where guests can enjoy luxury accommodations and delicious meals.
- La Jolla Cove – This beach is located in the La Jolla neighborhood and is famous for its clear waters, cliffs, and abundant sea life, making it a popular spot for snorkeling and diving. Next is the Children’s Pool Beach, perfect for families with children who want to take a dip or play in the water.
- Children’s Pool Beach – This beach is located in the La Jolla neighborhood and is a favorite spot for kids who want to swim and play in the waves. The beach also has a small pool that was specifically built for children.
- Windansea Beach – This beach is located in the La Jolla neighborhood and is a world-class spot for surfing. It’s also great for swimming, sunbathing and people-watching.
- Torrey Pines State Beach – This beach is located in the Torrey Pines neighborhood of La Jolla and is known for its rugged cliffs, excellent surfing, and panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean.
- Del Mar Beach – This wide, sandy beach is located in the seaside town of Del Mar and is popular for its gentle waves, good surf breaks, and picturesque setting.
What’s the Nicest Beach in San Diego
The nicest beach in San Diego is Mission Beach. By nice, I mean a combination of being fun, having something for everyone and it gives you a good feeling when you arrive and thinking about it after you have spent a day there.
This beach is located in the Mission Beach neighborhood of San Diego and is known for its boardwalk, amusement park rides, restaurants, and bars. This beach is perfect for swimming, surfing, fishing, boating, and water sports. There are plenty of places to eat, shop, and play.
Mission Beach is also a great place for people of all ages, with plenty of restaurants and things to do nearby.
What Would Rick Decide To Do at San Diego Beaches?
Let’s take the case of Rick, a college student who lives farther north in Los Angeles, California. He is no stranger to the beach, and when he visits San Diego, he has his favorites. Often he goes down to San Diego with some of his friends, and they spend time at La Jolla and Pacific Beach. La Jolla gives him a relaxed beach with great waves and a place to walk on the shoreline by himself if he wants to be alone. With friends, playing football or going boogie boarding is a great option. He is curious about Kayaking but has not made an effort to find out how to rent.
What Beach Activities Can You Do in La Jolla?
La Jolla is a beach community in San Diego that offers many water-based activities. Some of the activities you can do there are surfing, Kayaking, sailing, scuba diving, snorkeling, paddleboarding, and more.
La Jolla Shores, La Jolla Cove, Windansea Beach, and the Children’s Pool Beach are closely nestled together and offer a wide range of water sports and activities for individuals and families.
La Jolla Shores – La Jolla, California’s recreational treasure. Located west of Mission Bay in San Diego, La Jolla Shores is a natural shoreline adjacent to the Pacific Ocean. The beach is popular among locals for its spectacular beauty, clear waters, and inviting waves for surfers and bodyboarders. Visitors to La Jolla Shores can also enjoy nature walks on the park’s walking trails.
La Jolla Cove is a beautiful spot for Kayaking and snorkeling. The cove is located a short drive from downtown La Jolla and has crystal-clear water. Visitors can enjoy a kayaking or snorkeling tour and explore the marine life in the area.
La Jolla Downtown Area – Surfers usually rent boards and wetsuits from local shops. Equipment can be rented or purchased, and some stores offer surfboard rentals. Many schools offer surfing lessons. The same goes for other water sports.
What Is There To Do Off The Beach In San Diego
People should take advantage of the local attractions that are readily available in San Diego. Those who want to visit a museum, visit parks like Balboa Park or go sightseeing at Seaport Village without any hassle.
What Activities Can I Do Near the Beach in San Diego?
- Mission Beach Boardwalk – is an exciting, beautiful, and wonderful place to spend an afternoon. It is a very relaxing place, and there are many things you can do there. There are many restaurants and stores located on the boardwalk. Walking down the boardwalk or taking a bike ride gives you a chance to cool off from the hot San Diego sun.
- Balboa Park – Balboa Park is a beautiful park located in San Diego. This park features many different buildings and structures. The museum is probably the most famous building in the park. Art exhibits, lectures, and performances are held there. In addition, there are several restaurants within the museum. If you enjoy visiting art museums, this is a must-see location.
- Scripps Institute of Oceanography – One of the things you’ll see if you visit the institute is the impressive building in which they conduct their research. You may be surprised to bump into some gigantic tanks filled with the specimens of living organisms that the institute is studying. Some of these tanks contain animals that live in the deep sea, such as the giant squid. Others contain animals that live in shallow waters, such as sea otters.
- San Diego Old Town – Old Town is a historic area in San Diego. It was once a bustling port town. Today, it is filled with shops, bars, restaurants, and hotels. If you love history, this is a great place to visit. There are plenty of historical landmarks, including the Gaslamp Quarter, Horton Plaza, and the USS Midway Museum.
- Seaport Village – Seaport Village is home to various stores and boutiques that feature clothing, jewelry, home decor items, and chocolate. There are also cafes and souvenir shops in the area, where you can stop for a snack or purchase a piece of memorabilia to remember your time in San Diego.
- Sunset Cliffs Natural Park – There are beautiful trails up along the coast of San Diego. The park has hiking trails and paved paths that wind along the coast and allow visitors to view marine life. If you hike to the Sunset Cliffs, you will see amazing views of the ocean and waves crashing against the shore. The park also has a nature center that hosts exhibits and tours to educate visitors about the native plants and animals.
What Should I Not Miss in San Diego
Here are a few attractions in the table below that are “don’t miss” when in San Diego:
|Sea World San Diego||See dolphins, penguins, and sharks in the large ocean tank. There are also clownfish, rays, seahorses, and octopuses. You can walk by the penguins or touch the stingrays. You can also feed the dolphins and watch them jump out of the water.|
|San Diego Zoo||Widely considered one of the most famous zoos in the world, it boasts beautiful scenery, countless animal species, and kid-friendly attractions. Guests come to the zoo year-round to enjoy its fantastic sights.|
|Legoland California||A family theme park in Carlsbad featuring rides, shows, and attractions inspired by the popular Lego® toy brand.|
|San Diego Zoo Safari Park||A wildlife park where visitors can observe exotic animals in naturalistic habitats and embark on guided tours and safaris.|
|San Diego Natural History Museum||A museum dedicated to exploring the natural history of Southern California, featuring exhibits, dioramas, and interactive displays.|
|Balboa Park||A large urban park in San Diego, home to many attractions, including museums, gardens, and the San Diego Zoo.|
How Would Retired Couple Ben and Judy Choose What To Do in San Diego Near the Beach?
Let’s take the case of Ben and Judy, a couple in their early 60s who have retired early. They enjoy vacationing at the beach, so they have visited San Diego every summer for the past few years. On a recent trip to San Diego, Ben and Judy chose to explore La Jolla Shores beach and cove, Mission Beach, and Coronado Beach.
They enjoyed walking on the beach instead of doing water sports and spent time exploring the surroundings and what it offers in shops and cafes. A few weeks after returning, they decided they would like to spend more time at the beach in San Diego.
So there you have it, a list of beaches in San Diego, a list of water sports and outdoor activities you can do on San Diego beaches, and some activities surrounding the beaches. Take these tips and apply them to your situation for your next trip. The best thing you can do for packing for your vacation is to have a good plan and then get moving to implement it.